Employed Student Nurses
Get paid practical job experience before graduation.
Employed Student Nurses (ESN) and Employed Student Psychiatric Nurses (ESPN) are hired as Fraser Health employees and allocated 400 hours with opportunity to increase between April 1 to March 31.
Become an Employed Student Nurse with Fraser Health
Fraser Health supports undergraduate nursing students enrolled in an approved BC Nursing Program with an employment opportunity to gain paid practical job experience before graduation.
The goal of the Employed Student Nurse Program is to provide a career pathway for student nurses and student psychiatric nurses to facilitate practice consolidation and competence building and to foster job readiness for professional employment within the health authority upon their graduation from their academic program.
Employed Student Nurses (ESN) and Employed Student Psychiatric Nurses (ESPN) are hired as supernumerary casual employees to allow them the flexibility to work around their school schedule. Upon successful completion of registration requirements with BCCNM, ESNs/ESPNs are allocated 400 hours each fiscal year (April 1 to March 31) to start, with opportunities available to increase hours.
Join our Talent Network and create your profile.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Talent Acquisition department will send notifications to nursing schools when the ESN posting becomes available on our careers website.
- The posting is accessible online starting in November for the following fiscal year. Nursing schools will be notified when the posting becomes available, and they will share it with you.
Once you have applied to the ESN posting, your application is reviewed by the Employed Student Nurse team.
You must meet the following requirements in order for your application to be considered further:
- Continuous enrollment in good standing in a BC nursing education program.
- Completion of second or third year
- One positive reference or Clinical Evaluation/Summary/Practice Appraisal form completed by your most recent Preceptor or Clinical Instructor.
- ESN applies to the ESN posting on our careers website
- Talent Acquisition will review all applications, and match applicants based on Manager need
- ESN notified of match and invited to hiring fair or on site interview
- ESN will need to apply to BCCNM to start the employed student registration process prior to being interviewed
- ESN interviewed by manager (or delegate) and if successful, they are hired
- ESN completes the registration process with BCCNM. You need to have your BCCNM Practicing Employed Student status prior to your first day as an ESN/ESPN at Fraser Health (including orientation or other education requirements).
You will have the opportunity to increase your hours between April 1 to March 31, and will be eligible to renew your hours for the next fiscal intake depending on your program completion date. Graduating students are encouraged to apply to our New Graduate Program and will be eligible to apply their earned seniority towards their first job with us!